Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Philippines: Clear and Copious

Day 03: Today we had the honor to meet Governor Roel Degamo of Negros Oriental.  Before entering his office Fritz prepped us with a mind boggling discussion on politics and our role as young leaders in the community.  Each of us got the chance to pick our own brains and verbalize what we want for our future and issues that we feel strongly about.  Upon entering the governors office Jessica James serenaded "Oh Shenandoah" beautifully to the room.  Rhonda and Mary Bruce started off the conversation by expressing their goals for our meeting, they were both so selfless in the way that they spoke about the university's mission, SU faculty, and their aspirations for SU students.  We had the chance to ask the governor about the challenges he faces and his hopes for his time in office.  This man's faith in his position and duty to his citizens was incredibly inspiring.  The overall energy and excitement levels of our group was through the roof after leaving the building.  I am so excited to see what is to come from from this brief but strong fellowship we have helped Shenandoah to make with Governor Degamo.
"I felt like I was in heaven, but I was not dead" - Kriti Hada's on point description of our team's time spent at Tumalog Falls.




We all agree that each day, each activity seems to be exceeding our expectations.  As a team, we are striving to let go of these preconceived expectations and to let this trip transform us and take us to where we need to be even if it stretches past our comfort zone.
Liam invented "honesty hour" below are some contributions. I honestly...:
"..feel that we reached a whole new level of getting to know each other, we are family."
"..never pictured myself being so adventurous, I hope I can go back to school and be able to relax like this."
"..love how each day is a different experience in a different moment"
"..when I go home I am really going to miss you guys."


No comments: