Monday, March 10, 2014

Living in the Moment (Bolivia)


This post doesn’t have much to do with the itinerary of our trip nor am I summarizing events, but it’s something I would like to share. 
In our society, it is common to keep in contact with all of your friends at all times of the day, whether it be via text, keeping up with them on Facebook, or following them on Twitter. Before this GCP trip, I made the decision to leave my phone at home and I couldn’t be happier that I did. Every place we travel to, I am not worrying about what is happening elsewhere, but focusing on what is going on in front of me. I can’t text, check my email, do anything on Facebook, or even play time-wasting games on my iPhone. I split my focus in nine different ways when I’m at school so this is very therapeutic, to say the least. I am considerably less stressed, more focused, and happier (although that last one could be because I am in Bolivia!) 
We, also, as a society, try to capture every moment and aren’t satisfied with only recalling moments from our minds. I am guilty of this normally… but not this trip! I don’t have a digital camera (or a phone) and I brought two really crappy disposable cameras, on which I have taken two photos so far. The rest of my group is doing an excellent job of capturing these amazing places we’re traveling to so I could probably find a 360° view of every place we’ve been. 
There is nothing wrong with what the rest of my group is doing. I will be happy that they took photos and kept the outside world informed, but right now, this is what I need. I just want to make every moment count and I’m trying to do that but staying away from technology as much as possible! (And yes I know, I’m on the internet writing this blog post… But this doesn’t count!) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BEST.Lesson>EVER! Live in the moment. They are fleeting, so pay attention to what's in front of you (literally). :)